Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cal Ripken - 98.53 percent?

I'm not much of a baseball fan. I can't remember the last game I watched, and I've probably only been to 5 professional games in my entire life. I've never actually paid for tickets to see a game. I did play a bit in little league as a kid (shortstop and 3rd base), and played in a work softball league one year. The last two times I made a conscious effort to watch a game on TV where when McGwire hit his 70th home run and when Ripken broke Lou Gherig's record.

Anyway, I just read that Cal Ripken was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame. No surprise at all, of course. What does surprise me is that he was only picked by 537 of the 545 voters. Who could not vote for Cal to be in the hall of fame? What possible reason could there be to exclude him? Maybe the real baseball fans know the answer to this, but I'm drawing a blank.

No comments: